Friday, November 14, 2008

"The Pot Calling The Kettle Black"


While we were at church this past Sunday, Braden was running around with some other kids and cracked his head pretty hard on the wood floor. I didn't see him fall, but I heard the crack and I knew it was a big hit! It was one of those falls that was followed by the "what-seems-like-forever-silent-scream". Needless to say, he had bumped his head pretty good. Since he was crying pretty hard, our "after-church visiting" was abruptly ended and we got in the van and headed for home. As we were driving, Braden would calm down for a few minutes and then start crying again, obviously complaining that his head still hurt. I was feeling sympathetic, knowing that he probably had a pretty big headache going on. After about 10 minutes of this on and off crying, Olivia blurts out, "BRADEN....would you be quiet, that's enough already!!" Normally, I'm not so tolerant of the crying/whining either, but since I knew it was legitimate this time, I was upset with Olivia for responding like that and so I said, "Olivia, that is not very nice. Your brother bumped his head really hard and it still hurts!" Her response to me was, "Well, Mom....he's just over-reacting."

There's 2 things that make this story funny for me. First of all...her use of the word "over-reacting". I wasn't aware that it was in her vocabulary or that she really understood it. And second of all...of both of my children, the biggest over-reactor and most dramatic one...is most definitely....OLIVIA!

No comments: