Friday, April 03, 2009

The "Ruler" of the Church

Well...it's been a while since I've blogged anything on here, but let me assure you that it's not for lack of material...LOL! It seems that both Olivia and Braden are saying and doing things....daily....that make us laugh so hard, but sometimes....it's hard to know how to reproduce those situations in written form. Anyway....here's another one that I think is "reproducable".

Yesterday...the kids were playing air hockey in the foyer at our church, while I was having a worship practice with our band for the night. Our lead pastor (Jeff) and his wife and 2 boys showed up for a while and joined the kids in playing as well. I guess Jeff started setting some rules to keep the game running fairly for everyone, but Olivia was obviously not comfortable with someone else making up the rules. I wasn't there at that moment, but from the story that was related to me....I think it went something like this,

With a big frown on her face and hands on her hips....Olivia walked up to Pastor Jeff and said, "Hey, you can't make up the rules! The church makes the rules and I am the ruler of the church!!"

So...after hearing what happened....I brought up the situation once we got home that night. Here's how it went:

Me: So, Olivia....did you have fun with Micah & Ethan tonight? (Pastor Jeff's boys)
Olivia: Yeah
Me: Was Pastor Jeff not playing by the rules?
Olivia: Well, mom....God made ME the ruler of the church!
Me: How do you know that God made you the ruler?
Olivia: I don't really know....I just feel something inside. I can't see it or taste it, but I just feel something inside that shouldn't be there!

Well...I'm not sure where this "thinking" has come from....I certainly hope she hasn't picked up this whole idea from us!! Unfortunately....she just spoke truthfully about the view that a lot of church people hold subconciously.

Ahhh....lessons from a child.

No comments: