Friday, April 17, 2009

Potty Training!!!

Potty training is NOT my forte! It's not that I can't do it...I just dread it ...and pretty much wait for signs that my kids are completely ready before I even try. Anyway...it's been getting down the crunch with Braden now...so it's been on my mind a lot lately. I've attempted a few times...but he just hasn't seemed to be ready, so I didn't push it. The odd morning he will wake up and tell me he has to go on the potty...but in all of our attempts...we've never had a success yet.

This morning...was another one of those mornings. I was sleeping downstairs in the spare bedroom since I was up coughing in the night and didn't want to disturb the rest of the family. I was also exhausted after a long, but good youth night last night. Anyway...as usual...my children came and found me around 8am and once again, I heard, "Mommy...I have to go on the potty!" I was so tired that I had no ambition to respond to yet another "false alarm"...so I didn't. But Braden persisted that he had to go and Olivia was more than willing to take him, so I sent the two of them upstairs for the "potty mission". After about 15minutes...they returned....with HUGE smiles on their faces, Braden with a naked bum and Olivia with a fresh diaper, wipes and powder in her hand. Apparently...this was not a false alarm...and both Shawn and I missed the main event!!! Olivia had taken on the mission and was back to give me all the details. With great excitement, they informed me that Braden pee-ed on the potty (well, a little on the floor), but that she cleaned it up!! So...although unplanned...today became the day for starting this whole journey of potty training with Braden.

I quickly ran out to the store for some motivational treats (which happen to be "hotwheels" cars...the only thing that seems to work for him...ha!). And...as of this moment....we've had about 4 successes and no accidents! So...big props to Olivia...she has accompanied Braden to the bathroom most of the time and is his biggest cheerleader!! Here I was....asking for other peoples' advice on the whole issue....all the while, the "potty nanny" was living right in my own home!! Too funny...I LOVE my kids!!!!

No comments: