Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Terry Fox Run

Olivia is in Kindergarten now and picking her up from school everyday is always a joy! I love hearing about her day and all her "adventures". Last week, there was a particular day that stood out for me. It was a hot September day and usually she runs to me with a big smile on her face, but on this particular day, she was dragging her feet with her shoulders all slumped forward. She didn't even stop when she got to me for the usual after school embrace, she just walked past me and headed to the car while muttering, "We had to run 8 laps today!" Then it hit me. The school newsletter had mentioned something about the whole school participating in the Terry Fox Run. I didn't think the Kindergarten class was participating in that, but apparently they did....and I sent her to school in flip flops that day (which I never usually do).

I continued to ask her about the run and with each question...the number of laps she recounted, kept increasing. I finally asked her what the running was for (just to see if she actually knew). Her response was, "Some guy died and we had to save money for him!"

No comments: